Saturday, April 19, 2008

Käsespätzle Party

I had to preempt the Chromatics video for an unexpected Käsespätzle party at Rebekka and Abel's, Daniel's new neighbours, apartment. For those unfamiliar with Spätzle, it is the southern German version of pasta and a staple in their diet. It is also delicious and really good at soaking up gravy, or in this case; onion, bacon fat and cheese!

I met up with Daniel directly after work and we went Handi Shopping, my usual reliance on email as my primary source of communication does not work very well over here, as , unfortunately, everyone else is phone-centric. So I had to cave and pick up a mobile. We managed to find one for 20 euro though. The Ericsson T250i, It's super thin and should last me at least 3 months. It takes pictures too, which is nice because my Coolpix is bulky and if I put it in my pocket, people, conversely, aren't glad to see me.

Unfortunately after a long day at work my head cold was getting the best of me. By the time we got to Daniel's place with the groceries and wine, I felt pretty beat. No problem though! Daniel just gave me some home remedies he picked up in Russia.

Cure #1: A shot of Vodka with black pepper in it.
Cure # 2: Shove a large chunk of garlic into each nostril and breathe deeply.

I felt remarkably refreshed for a good 2 hours afterwards, as strange as these remedies sound, they are immediately and extremely effective.

The dinner party was a really good time, and I got to meet a lot of nice new people, particularly nice were our hosts who put up with me getting in the way with my camera in the kitchen, way too much wine drinking by most of us and Rebekka made us Crêpes for dessert!

The following video is a documentation of Käsespätzle production from start to finish. Thanks to Delphine and Rebekka for helping out with the footage and LCD soundsystem for providing a song that fit not only in length but more importantly, with the spirit of the evening.

Käsespätzle


2 comments:

Mathieu Trudel said...

They have a really nice dog!

What breed is it.

Eric Espig said...

yes she is! she is almost 15 years old and blind. I think she is a Springer Spaniel?